Wednesday, October 18, 2006

other blogs

I think of my blog as sort of a staging area -- an area where I can post essays and ideas that are partially formulated, inflicting them on an innocent public (of 5 or so). I am a terrible editor of my own work and hate editing. But these days I've been going through some of my old posts for other blogs, an exciting and excrutiating process. A lightly edited "Origin Story" went to Multicultural Living magazine for the November-December edition. After Chusok spent in a petulant rage I lobotomized Self-Monitoring to become "My so-called ex-pat life" for Printculture. Check me out on these other sites...

I want to thank my best friend Emily for being my textual foil as well as my patient editor and hand-holder during this process. In my own blog I don't feel so much anxiety and I can write whatever the hell I want, but for other people there's a lot of angst and anxiety in the process of writing something. Sometimes I just need someone around who will repeat "get rid of all the extra words!" "This idea doesn't belong here" and "It's OK, it's OK, it's fine, get some sleep" over and over again. Thanks, Em! AND she took that picture of me in my profile. And I also should mention (because I know she's been holding on to this for quite some time) that she cut my bangs in 10th grade, thereby inaugerating a new era of Jennifer Style.

No comments: