Friday, June 29, 2007

Frak

You know you've been watching too much Battlestar Galactica when...
1. You have dreams in which there are multiple copies of people you know in real life.
2. You spend time wondering if Kara Thrace is a cylon (I haven't gotten to the end of season 3 yet so please, so spoilers)
3. You find yourself saying things like, "Do you have a frakking problem with that?"
4. You neglect your blog.

Speaking of TV shows, I mentioned a while back that I was into that drama "Surgeon BongDarHee." Apparently it is based on Grey's Anatomy, which I haven't seen. My Chinese teacher who got me into BongDarHee was going through withdrawal and started watching Grey's Anatomy, only to be shocked by all the sex. Her description went something like, "So in the first episode, one of the blonde doctors and the brown haired main doctor sleep together, and then they find out that they're working at the same hospital. And then later some other doctors sleep together and spread a venereal disease. And then that doctor sleeps with someone else at the hospital... Jennifer, do doctors in the U.S. really have that much sex?"
Meanwhile, I'm watching BongDarHee and thinking, "Do people in Korea really wait this long before kissing? That might explain the popularity of the cold pool at the public bath..."
Our various cultural expectations of the role and prominence of physical affection are quite different.

Monsoon season has begun in Korea. The floor of our apartment is vaguely sticky, and I'm not sure if that's because of the humidity or something one of the kids spilled. Laundry doesn't dry properly. I find myself wanting to take multiple showers a day. The boys have all sorts of guck accumulating underneath their chins, in their underarms, and in other chubby spots. All of our umbrellas are somewhat dysfunctional, since they also serve as swords, canes, missiles, etc. Aiden's shoes emit a strange and unpleasant odor.

Anyway, my class is finally over and printculture is on a break so I thought I would have lots of time to get stuff done but it hasn't worked out that way. I did submit something for the next issue of Multicultural Living, so if you haven't subscribed, get on it! It is a great magazine. I'm in the midst of a bunch of other projects and trying to prepare for our next U.S. trip (involves getting us all up-to-date on our vaccinations, cavities, haircuts, etc. and preparing all the gifts). So sorry for the dearth of posts lately, but one of these days I'll get on it.

And more importantly, I need to get caught up on Baltar's frakking trial.

No comments: